Some Tips For Using Tumblr
According to a recent article in Mashable, the term “Tumblr” is becoming a more popular search term than “blog” and this year it is expected to take over that search term. Although “blog” is a general word while “Tumblr” is a brand, people are beginning to interchange the two words while Tumblr becomes the most popular blogging platform.
But what if you already have a blog and don’t want to switch to Tumblr? Perhaps you already use Blogger or WordPress. You can use Tumblr as another tool for backlinks and added exposure. Here are a few tips to do so:
- Create a Tumblr account and set up your new blogging platform with a custom name and template. It doesn’t have to be perfect.
- After you have finished making a post on your regular blogging platform (making sure you use an image – always use an image – people pay more attention to images), go to your Tumblr account and press photo.
- Click on the “Use a URL Instead” link and put in the URL of your image from your latest blog. If you don’t know the URL, right click on the image and select “Copy URL Location”. Go back to Tumblr and hit ctrl+V while your cursor is in the URL box. This will paste the URL.
- For the Caption, type in the title of your New Blog Post – WORD FOR WORD.
- Highlight the title and select the link button.
- Link the text to the URL of your blog post. Not the image, not the blog, the individual blog post.
- On the right, put in the SAME URL in the box which starts with http and says “content source”.
- Add in the appropriate tags.
- Use the “Set a Custom Post URL” feature. Move your cursor to just after the last backslash and click. Now type in your new blog post title but use a DIFFERENT title than the blog you recently wrote. Use something similar, perhaps change the words around. Put dashes between each word and avoid capitalization.
And there you go! You just created a link to your own blog and gave yourself some additional exposure!